Wednesday, July 15, 2026

July, 15, 2026


Grace in Recognizing 

The First Degree of Drift




Yesterday, I shared in a meeting, my analogy for the power of grace utilized in the moment — it allows for the turning of any moment back toward peace, contentment, and connectedness.




The example I use is a nautical image of sailing, where the optimum path, the calmest water, the shortest path, is to sail in a due north direction. But the truth of sailing, as in life, is that it is impossible to hold that heading. At the very best I'm able to tack back and forth as quickly as possible to stay as close to it as I can.

With the understanding that the further I stray, I encounter increasing hardships due to rough seas, inclement weather, and unknown dangers. My most useful tool, then, is my ability to sense the deviation and to institute course correction as quickly as possible.

As I stray, and conditions worsen, my attention is drawn to the moment. Certainly the ideal might be recognized, but I'm also facing difficulties that require my immediate attention. Seeming survival trumps my knowing of the optimum course.

Hence, the further off course, the more obstacles I create for my life goal of staying close to true.

I keep saying, when the weather improves, then I'll get back on course.

But the weather only improves when I institute actions that change my course.

No comments:

Post a Comment